Members are licensed, have a recognized designation or are currently enrolled in an approved designation program, and are actively providing financial advice to consumers. There are 3 categories for standard Advocis Members: Practicing Advisor members, Manager members and Designation Candidate members.
Practicing Advisor members are those that are licensed and are already holding onto one (or several) of the approved designation(s). Advocis recognizes the following designations as being approved: CLU®, CHS™, PFA™, CH.F.C®, CFP®, CFA®, CIM®, FEA, PFP®, TEP, PI.fin, QAFP™, and CEBS. Practicing Advisor members are those who are actively providing financial advice to consumers.
Manager members are leaders in the financial services industry in Canada, who are directly or indirectly responsible for recruiting/retaining, coaching, training, education, business development, or managing financial advisors and/or planners. Manager members may be directly servicing clients or may be providing financial advice as permitted by their license(s). Advocis recognizes the following designations as being approved: CLU®, CHS™, PFA™, CH.F.C®, CFP®, CFA®, CIM®, FEA, PFP®, TEP, PI.fin, QAFP™, and CEBS. Manager members are client-facing.
Designation Candidates are those who are licensed and are currently, or, are in the process of starting an approved designation program and do not hold any other approved designations. Advocis recognizes the following designations as being approved: CLU®, CHS™, PFA™, CH.F.C®, CFP®, CFA®, CIM®, FEA, PFP®, TEP, PI.fin, QAFP™, and CEBS. Maintaining one of the previously mentioned designations would prohibit you from joining Advocis as a Designation Candidate.
- Paying members in this category have voting privileges for various matters related to The Financial Advisors Association of Canada (TFAAC) at the Annual General Meeting (AGM).
- Full access to all membership benefits and resources.
GAMA Global Canada is dedicated to the professional development needs and leadership skills of all leaders who lead teams, advisors, and managers in the insurance, investment, and financial services industries. GAMA hosts the Leaders and Managers Program (LAMP) conference yearly. Please note: All Advocis members regardless of their Advocis Membership Category can join GAMA by opting into GAMA Global Canada membership for an additional cost of $119.
Advocis Membership Requirements:
- Must have at least one approved designation and maintain their designation with the conferring body or be enrolled in an approved designation program (designation must be obtained in five years).
- Adhere to the Advocis Code of Professional Conduct.
- Carry sufficient E&O coverage in accordance with the nature and extent of their practice.
- Meet Advocis’ annual CE requirements (find more information here).